Recovery from High-Demand Groups (Religious organizations, corporations, etc.)
If you are recovering from involvement in a high-demand group such as a church, corporation, cult, etc., and are looking for support, please contact me. I am interested in starting a support group for individuals who have suffered or are suffering from the abuse sustained in such involvement. If you are interested, I will need to meet with you in person for both of us to see if this would be a good fit for you. As a therapist, I will lead the meetings but active participation is invited and encouraged. The time, place, and cost for the support group are still to be determined.
If you are wondering if you are one of the many people who have suffered at the hands of a high-demand group, ask yourself these questions:
1. Are you told what you should think?
2. Are you told what you should feel?
3. Is the organization more important than the individual?
4. Do you live to serve the organization or is it there to support you?
5. Are you afraid to leave?
6. How much control does the leader have?
7. Is your organization right and everyone else on earth wrong?
8. Do you ever wish you had never heard of this group and been “blessed” with the “full truth” so that you could be happy like the people you know who aren’t a part of this?
9. Is there a sense of “us versus all others?”
10. Do you intellectually think that the group’s attitudes, beliefs, etc., are wrong but still feel afraid and ask yourself, “But what if they’re right?”
There are many other questions you might be asking. If you already know that you are or have been a part of a high-demand group and are angry, sad, terrified, questioning, or grieving, understand that there are many other people who have had the same experience even if it is through or with a different organization. Recovery takes time and people go through different stages.
Know this: You don’t have to go through this alone!
Contact me if you are interested in learning more about getting help: 2624199177 | Send Email